arts and crafts duplex bungalow

arts and crafts duplex bungalow

Monday, June 25, 2012

Fear This Gardener

Lovely but overgrown
When we first found this house on 49th street, back in April of 2011, it had a bleak looking overgrown tangle of muddy weeds in front. As we visited the house and the previous owner, I watched as the flowers and plants grew and grew, flowering here and there. There were peonies in the late spring, lavender in June and a huge bright pink Easter Lilly in late June. I imagined myself keeping all of these flowering plants, rearranging them and keeping tabs on them.. Learning as much as I could about when things were in bloom and what to trim. 
Vivid Lilies

Fast forward one year and we have a mess of weeds, ground cover that is competing for attention, trees that are falling over with the weight of ill-proportioned branches. It's a nightmare for anyone who wants a simple, organized garden that doesn't require a ton of watering. (I personally feel watering is as bad as taking a too-long shower. Wasteful and decadent, only to be done on hideously hot days in July.)
One single solitary bloom
As I mentally moved all these plants in my planning last week while on vacation (aka working, but at home), I sketched tall plants (waaayyy to many of them) to the back, ground cover to the front and a nice organic flow to the patches of things that I massaged around the yard. After 4 days of digging rooted, overgrown hostas and awful naught ivy, I gave in.
 
 
I am going to remove it and start over. I feel awful.

 
It's a mess
I have grown to love the little blips of blooms that come and go, but they are killing each other! There isn't enough of anything to make sense design-wise and I'm sure the neighbors think I'm crazy for trying to tame the crazy "Victorian" mess.   Were the Victorians insane?

So this last weekend, I Googled common Midwest plants to see what I had growing in my jungle, to make sure I wasn't getting rid of anything too unique. Yeah, that didn't really work. Then, I went to a far more useful source, my kind gardening neighbor Sara. She told me that the big luscious flowering plants I was waiting to move were goldenrod. Evil evil goldenrod of the I am so allergic varietal. So it all came out. And then with a sigh of relief, I felt so much better that I had decided (with some prompting by others) to clear the slate. Save a few lively plants that had  great blooms and would move without giving me too much headache.

Now, we have a mud slide for a front yard, but man, I feel better! So once again, much thought and obsession turns me into a nutcase, but I do hope this yard looks stunning....next year.
NEXT YEAR!

No comments:

Post a Comment